Utah horse returns to owner after 8 years of running with wild mustangs: ‘It’s a miracle’

Over the eight-year period that Mongo, his beloved horse, was missing from Utah, Shane Adams, a Utah native, experienced many major life changes.

Shane was a victim of a car accident that caused him to suffer a serious brain injury. He also lost his home, went through a divorce and had to move on. Adams received amazing news in September: Mongo, his horse, was found.

“[I thought], There is no way. Adams said to Fox News Digital about his reaction to hearing the Mongo news.

He said, “It didn’t even seem real… To have him back it is still not real.”

Adams, 40, was raised riding and training horses all his life. But, Adams said he never had a stronger bond with Mongo.

He said, “He is very special and has been a part my life always,”

Adams stated that a normal camping trip in West Desert, located just two hours from Salt Lake City, took a bad turn on March 31, 2014.

He claimed he heard horses rustling outside his tent in the morning and he peeked out among the noise. Mongo, Mongo, was his half-Quarter, half-Percheron bred horse. He ran after a few wild Mustangs.

Adams ran to chase Mongo, but was engulfed in a snowstorm.

“I thought that he would just come back. He never traveled far because of that mentality. Adams said, “I didn’t believe he would ever go.”

Adams searched for his horse three years in a row, never stopping. He said that he was always out searching for Mongo every weekend. His father Scott Adams was there to assist him.

Adams stated that Adams’ father died in August.

He said, “I really wish that my dad was here for this.” “My dad always went with me out looking every time.”

Adams reached out to the Bureau of Land Management in Utah and the local brand inspector. He said that he had done everything possible to make sure people knew about Mongo’s disappearance.

Adams said that he returned to his former job as a foreman in a large construction firm as time passed. Adams’s position required him be more active and present at work.

He said, “You cannot run a $100 million-dollar job and then be away and only work two days per week because you’re out chasing wild mustangs.”

Adams gave up on hope by 2017 and concluded that Mongo had died. BLM Utah team members were also uncertain about what happened to the horse.

“We didn’t capture Mongo in 2017 so we didn’t know what had happened.” “We thought maybe he had disappeared,” Lisa Reid, public affairs specialist at BLM Utah, Salt Lake City.

Adams was then contacted by a BLM Utah employee on Sept. 27, 2022.

Mongo was said to have been found by the person.

Mongo was brought in during the final day of gathering at Dugway Proving Ground, a high-security Utah location. Reid stated that this was after BLM Utah granted permission for them to extend their gather because of the excessive number of horses.

She said that Mongo, who was larger than the horses around him, was immediately recognized by BLM’s horse specialist. This was largely because of his size.

Mongo didn’t try to run away or fight like other horses. Adams said that Mongo settled quickly and was a sign of a domesticated horse.

Reid claims that the BLM Utah horse specialist recognized Mongo, and remembered the story.

Mongo was brought in during the final day of gathering at Dugway Proving Ground.
Shane Adams/Facebook

After discovering that Mongo’s left shoulder was covered in winter fur, the team reached out to the local brand inspector.

This is how they were able acquire Adams’ information. Reid stated that it was an internal agency effort.

Adams stated that he called BLM Utah after he received the message on Facebook.

He drove four hours the next day to get Mongo, the horse he hadn’t seen for eight years.

Mongo had lost more than 400 pounds and was not as fit as he was eight years ago. Adams however knew that Mongo was his best friend.

Adams stated that he expected Mongo to be in a skittish condition after many years of running with wild mustangs. Adams’ lessons were still a part of Mongo’s life.

Adams even let him walk into the trailer Adams had attached to his truck.

Adams stated that Mongo’s reunion was a fulfillment of a dream and a victory. Adams added, “This was really good. This was the only positive thing to have happened to me in two-years.”

Reid stated, “It was thrilling to be eight years later, and a horse we knew was missing [had] actually came in and [could] be] reunited [with his owner].

Adams stated that Mongo enjoys returning to his domesticated lifestyle because he can once again enjoy his favorite treat: Sour Patch Kids.

Adams answered a question about the feelings of his father, asking him how he would feel about this long-awaited reunion. Adams would be thrilled.

Adams spends his days looking after Mongo, and sharing his love of horses with Owen, 11, and Anna, 8.


Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button