USA

Justice Department wants to question Pence in Jan. 6 probe: report

According to a report, Justice Department investigators are looking to talk to Mike Pence, former Vice President. This is part of their probe into events leading to the Jan. 6 Capitol riot.

Thomas Windom, at least one investigator, has reached out in recent weeks to Pence’s staff to ask questions about former President Donald Trump’s attempts to reverse the results of the 2020 elections, The New York Times reported Wednesday.

According to reports, the former vice president is open to the DOJ’s request. He was contacted before Attorney General Merrick Galrland’s appointment Jack Smith special counsel to the department’s two separate investigations of Trump.

DOJ is investigating the former commander-in chief for handling sensitive White House documents following his presidency, and also for the Jan. 6 rebellion.

Separate from the House Jan.6 committee’s probe into 2020’s aftermath, the DOJ’s Jan. 6 investigation is conducted by the DOJ. According to the report, Pence views the Justice Department inquiry in a different way than the House one, because it is a criminal investigation.

Last week, Pence stated that he “closing” the door to the possibility of appearing before the House panel because of what he called “the partisan nature” of this committee.

Thomas Windom, an investigator, has reported that Pence was already contacted by Thomas Windom about the riot.
EPA/Shutterstock

Pence stated last week that he was closing the door on such a thing in a CBS News interview.

He said, “But I must again say that the partisan nature the January 6 Committee has been to me a disappointment.” “It seemed that in the beginning there was an opportunity for me to examine all aspects of January 6 and to do so more in accordance with the spirit of 9/11 Commission, nonpartisan and nonpolitical. That opportunity was lost.”

Trump could slow down the process of getting Pence together with federal investigators by invoking executive confidentiality to limit or stop his testimony. In a failed attempt to stop Greg Jacob and Marc Short, former aides to Pence, the former president invoked executive privilege to prevent them from giving evidence to grand jury interviews about the investigation.

img alt=”Pence is open to the DOJ’s request for an interview.” src=”https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2022/11/pence-jan6-003.jpg?quality=75&strip=all&w=878″/>
According to reports, Pence is open to interview requests from the DOJ.
House Select Committee via AP
Pence was evacuated from the Senate chamber at the Capitol Building on January 6, 2021.
Senate Television via AP
Pence said that he will not testify before the House Jan. 6, committeee.
House Select Committee via AP

Pence was vocal about Jan. 6 Capitol Riot as he promotes his book “So Help Me God” in the media.

Former vice president has charged Trump with being “reckless”on day his supporters stormed Capitol Building following a protest rally against the 2020 election results. Pence was present at the Capitol Jan. 6, leading procedures to confirm Joe Biden’s victory.

Pence stated earlier this month that the president’s actions and words were reckless.

“The president’s words at the rally endangered us, my family, and everyone at Capitol building,” Pence said. He was there with his daughter Jan. 6.

Pence recently called the words and actions of former President Donald Trump “reckless” during the riot.
AP Photo/Evan Vucci, File

According to the New York Times, discussions between the government and Pence regarding sitting for an interview are still in their early stages. Pence has not been summoned, and it could take several months to complete if Trump invokes executive privilege.

Pence spokesperson declined to comment on The Post’s request.

source

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button